Boating is a recreational activity mainly done by the middle-class and has always been associated with adventure, bonding, and fun. According to the 2014 National Marine Manufacturers Association data, 35.7% of the US population, equivalent to 87.3 million Americans, participated in recreational boating at least once in 2014. With the enjoyment of such hobby comes the responsibility of protecting the vessel. A basic knowledge of what differentiate watercraft insurance from car insurance will help you decide the type of insurance you need for your boat:
Image source: The Watercraft Journal
- Car insurance protects the vehicle for its market value regardless of what is involved in the loss. On the other hand, mort watercraft insurance policies offer a predetermined and agreed value regardless of depreciation on the vessel. Thus, you will get payment for the cost of the boat at the time of purchase.
- Insurance for boats can be put on hold, unlike cars which need to be insured as long as they are registered under the owner’s name. This saves money especially if you rarely use your boat. Just remember not to take your boat out when it is not covered during that month.
- There are areas that restrict entry of boats and thus will not be included in your coverage. Make sure that you are aware where these areas are.
- Except for New Hampshire, all states have ordained mandatory car insurance liability laws. In fact, it is considered illegal in 50 states to drive without the proper car insurance. Though not mandatory, insurance for pleasure boats is usually required if you have a loan using the vessel as collateral. Some marinas also require liability insurance.
To save money on watercraft insurance, follow these tips:
- Shop around and get specific with your needs.
- Avail of policy discounts on safety features.
- Enroll yourself in a boating class. Having a certification can offer savings on your policy.
- Stretch out your lay-up period. Insurers can cut your premium if there are specific months that you will not use the boat.
- Finally, deal with an insurer that is capable of offering effective options specific to your needs. Whitehaven Insurance can deliver that for you. Get a quote now and enjoy a worry-free adventure the next time you are out on the waters.