By Dez Duran-Lamanilao
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) defines tropical cyclone as a non-frontal storm system that has low pressure center, spiral rain bands and strong winds. To distinguish the disaster types from one another, meteorologists refer to storms depending on their locations:
- Cyclone – Indian Ocean and South Pacific
- Hurricane – Western Atlantic and Eastern Pacific
- Typhoon – Western Pacific
These disasters generally cause a wider range of destruction than floods. A noteworthy fact is that safety measures can be observed since their occurrence can be predicted several days in advance.
The National Weather Service has identified the key hazards from tropical cyclones:
- Storm surge flooding – the abnormal rise of water resulting from storm’s winds
- Inland flooding from heavy rains
- Destructive winds that can put down buildings and manufactured homes
- High surf and rip currents – can damage structures along the coastline from as far as 1,000 miles offshore
Here are some tips to protect yourself, your family and your property from these hazards:
- Have an escape route in case there is a need to evacuate.
- Prepare a disaster supplies kit that contains the following
Image source: Weather Underground
- Listen to local authorities and follow their advice, however unreasonable it may first sound. Heed all warnings. They are in the best position to do so.
- Stay away from windows or glass areas.
- Secure the walls, roof and eaves of your home.
- Unless instructed or forced to evacuate, remain indoors and stay in the strongest part of the house/building.
If you have properties along the coastline, one of the most effective ways to protect them from these natural phenomena is getting the right insurance.
Whitehaven commits to resolve any issues during these catastrophic events as they have expertise when it comes to the current insurance conditions along the Gulf Coast. You may probably have been aware of the risks when you decided to purchase that property. Through proper management and an open mind, you are on your way of getting over the stress caused by such potential risks.